Blade Runner pop soundtrack 1982 Various Artists

 




My friend Stefan asked me what songs I would put in a movie that just had incidental music. That got me thinking, he chose Star Wars, I chose Blade Runner. As much as I love the Vangelis score I could imagine the studio saying "C'mon Ridley we need to get some popular musicians on the soundtrack so we can make a profit." Stefan's rule was that the music had to be from the year the movie came out and no more than two years before.
For the opening I have "Cruiser" by The Cars, when Deckard is chasing after Zhora "Unchained" by Van Halen would be playing, Sammy Hagar's "Surrender" would underscore Deckard with Rachel in his apartment, "Misunderstanding" by Genesis when Deckard calls Rachel from Chinatown, when Roy Batty is talking to Leon "Refugee" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers would be playing and Foreigner's "Urgent" playing during Batty's running after Deckard. The other songs are more background songs played briefly like The Thompson Twins in Ghostbusters or Eric Clapton's song in Back to the Future.
I had considered Whitesnake's "Crying in the Rain" for the end but decided against it.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCHnLE0OxajHrWdup76hMibLd6o2YDijI

Comments

  1. Not gonna lie, this would make the film dated as hell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Kind of like 1981's Heavy Metal, great soundtrack but so '80s.

      Delete
    2. But so good! Just needed more BOC like, Silver and Black and Vengeance (the Pact).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Police XYZ 1987

Raiders of the Lost Ark with Tom Selleck 1981

KISS Hot in the Shade 1989