KISS Heroes 1978

 




In 1978 Kiss were at the height of their popularity. Instead of releasing a new studio album they released four, or none depending on how you count it. Each of the four members released a solo album under the Kiss banner. For this alternate take I chose songs from the four albums to make one Kiss album. I tried to avoid choosing favorites and just pick which might be on a Kiss album. I loosely based the structure on 1979's Dynasty, so one song from Peter, a few from Ace and split the rest by Paul and Gene. I had three songs from Peter that I kept vacillating between. I settled on "Don't You Let Me Down" which was also on the 2005 greatest hits collection Kiss Gold. For Ace I chose "Rip It Out" and "What's on You Mind?". I was going skip his cover of Hello's "New York Groove" but it was the biggest hit from the four albums and I figure it would be this album's analog to Ace's cover of the Rolling Stones song "2,000 Man" on Dynasty. I kept wanting to put in Gene's "See You Tonight" song. Kiss performed it on MTV's Unplugged but I decided I wanted more of a Demon song in its place so I chose "Radioactive", "Living in Sin" and "Tunnel of Love". From Paul's album i grabbed "Wouldn't You Like to Know Me", "Tonight You Belong to Me" and "Don't You Let Me Down".
I wanted a painted cover like Destroyer or Love Gun. I chose Bob Larkin's art from the cover of Marvel Super Special #5 that came out in 1978. The cover also goes well with the intro of the song "Radioactive". I named the album Heroes because this is when they appeared in Marvel comics and put out "Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park" on television.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCHnLE0OxajEBdJOOc7oepd7emRXCvGA7&si=KqyRPINmzV8SERKs

Comments

  1. Nice take. I couldn't find any worthy songs from Peter's album to include on my version but I did do an album that would have been released before that includes four of the five studio songs from Alive II replacing the Dave Clark cover with Peter's version of Tossin' and Turnin', which they did do live a few times, and dropped Alive II from my personal discography so I could reuse elements from the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, seeing the song titles I’m reminded of how many times I played the Gene Simmons Album. Although Ace’s was my favorite, Gene’s was close. The other two trailed far behind. Really fun idea for a post, btw.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Raiders of the Lost Ark with Tom Selleck 1981

WHAM! Sons of Jack and Albert 1990

Panic Room Nicole Kidman 2002